By Victoria Kent
Hey guys, Vic here. If you know anything about me, you know I have an obsession with matcha. I’m either drinking a matcha latte, scarfing down matcha cookies, or even possibly eating matcha ice-cream, or matcha energy bites! I could probably eat matcha in every meal if I could afford it. I have come to the conclusion that I need to share my excitement of matcha with you so that you may enjoy this antioxidant power drink as much as I do!
If you don’t know what I’m talking about, matcha is the Japanese grounded powder from the green tea plant. Matcha is processed in a different way than drinking green tea through a leaf or tea bags.
I am not much of a coffee drinker because my body cannot handle how strong coffee is and usually I end up jittery the rest of the day. I normally drink tea regularly which soothes me but in the mornings I need something to wake me up and get me motivated! That’s where matcha comes to the rescue!
Health benefits and facts about matcha:
- Drinking matcha tea is different than green tea because you digest ALL of the nutrients from the WHOLE entire leaf.
- There are 137x more antioxidants in matcha than normal green tea (ANTI-OXIDANT POWERHOUSE)!
- 1 cup of matcha is an equivalent to 10 cups of normal green tea (this serves two purposes: (1) matcha is a detox that burns calories, and (2) it boosts energy and mood in a natural way).
- The powder is filled with antioxidants that also include vitamins, fiber, chlorophyl and various zinc that prevent disease and sickness.
- Lastly, matcha decreases cholesterol and regulates blood sugar.
Since homemade matcha is much cheaper than $5 matcha latte from Starbucks, I want to share with you how I make matcha lattes at home in just three steps!
Matcha at home:
- I buy green tea powder from Trader Joe’s (you can also find it at any local store such as Walmart, Target, or Whole Foods.)
- I first usually just heat up water and a little bit of unsweetened almond milk separately.
- After the water cools off a bit, I blend it all together in my blender and add honey to sweeten the matcha…. and THERE YA GO HOMEMADE MATCHA
I hope you are now excited to create your own matcha at home and enjoy this AMAZING pure drink!